A great variety of outdoor activities !
The region is brimming with all kinds of different activities: whether you like surfing, stand-up paddle, slack-lining, beach volleyball, hiking, rafting, kayaking or… french petanque 😉 Whether you would like to gently cycle around, go mountain biking or even fly away paragliding, everything is possible!
To make your stay at Nami House easier, we can put you in touch with the different clubs and schools in the area. Just let us know!
Europe’s surfing Mecca
In 1956, Peter Viertel, a 36-year old Californian, became the first person to ever surf in Europe. Where ?… you may ask. La Côte des Basques in Biarritz, a renowned surf spot, situated at less than a 15-minute drive from Nami House !
- Anglet, nicknamed the little California has 11 beaches, all of which are accessible directly from the house by either bike or bus, or on foot: powerful beach breaks, as well as more chilled out, novice level surfing possibilities.
- 30 minutes to the North of Anglet: the region of les Landes and the town of Hossegor, home to the famous spots of la Gravière, les Culs-Nus (literally Bare-Bums!) and also La Piste in the town of Capbreton.
- Finally, 20 minutes to the South of Anglet, you will find the mythical point breaks of Parlementia, Avalanche and also Lafiténia.
Exceptional walking & hiking !
Fancy going for a gentle walk or rather, a hardcore hike ? Around the hills or on steep terrain ? There is something for everyone : the Basque Country is overflowing with fantastic walking paths and trails, which take you through spectacular landscapes !
- If you just want to walk along the Basque coast, we highly recommend the coastal path between Bidart and Hendaye (or even further, until Spain !) which offers beautiful views of both the ocean and the mountains, among them the Rhune et the “3 Couronnes”.
- The Rhune mountain (le massif de la Rhune),holds the highest peak in the Basque Country at 905 m, and offers a beautiful 360° panorama view over inland Basque Country, the coast all the way to Spain, as well as the beaches of the Landes region. Read our post on our hike at la Rhune !
- Packed during the summer, there are alternatively many beautiful walks, whatever your level, in the numerous neighbouring mountains.
Pop by reception if you would like to know our favourite walks and hikes !
View of the Atlantic coast from the Rhune mountain
South Basque Country
Saint-Jean-de-Luz bay from the coast path
The Rhune mountain from the coast path
South Basque Country
Guéthary harbour & Parlementia surf spot - coastal path
It all depends on the type of “ride” you are looking for :
- Going to the nearby towns, or shopping at Quintaou Market? Anglet town council has developed a network of bike paths making it very easy and practical to get around, be it moving from beach to beach or popping in to either Biarritz or Bayonne. Grab one of our bikes and ask us for bike path maps !
- For the more motivated among you, you can follow the Adour River through the kiwi fields until you come across the village of Urt: an excellent lunch at La Galupe restaurant awaits you !
- And for the « ultimate » cyclist, Anglet is situated on the Vélodyssée route which runs the length of the Atlantic coast, all the way from Brittany down to the Basque Country. The Bayonne-Hendaye stage passes a stone’s throw from the house. Why not stop and rest up at our’s ?
French language classes
Want to learn or improve your French? French language school SOFI 64 located a 10-minute walk from Nami House along the bike path, offers a broad range of French courses for you to improve your French skills.
Group classes are up to 8 students maximum for best individual attention.